God is sovereign is a well-known and frequently used phrase, but what does it mean? Christianity.com, has the following to say:
“There is absolutely nothing that happens in the universe that is outside of God’s influence and authority. As King of kings and Lord of lords, God has no limitations. Consider just a few of the claims the Bible makes about God:
· God is above all things and before all things. He is the Alpha and the Omega, the beginning and the end. He is immortal, and He is present everywhere so that everyone can know Him (Revelation 21:6).
· God created all things and holds all things together, both in heaven and on earth, both visible and invisible (Colossians 1:16).
· God knows all things past, present, and future. There is no limit to His knowledge, for God knows everything completely before it even happens (Romans 11:33).
· God can do all things and accomplish all things. Nothing is too difficult for Him, and He orchestrates and determines everything that is going to happen in your life, my life, and throughout the world. Whatever He wants to do in the universe, He does, for nothing is impossible with Him (Jeremiah 32:17).
· God is in control of all things and rules over all things. He has power and authority over nature, earthly kings, history, angels, and demons. Even Satan himself has to ask God’s permission before he can act (Psalm 103:19).
That’s what being sovereign means: being the ultimate source of all power, authority, and everything that exists. Only God can make those claims; therefore, it’s God’s sovereignty that makes Him superior to all other gods and makes Him, and Him alone, worthy of worship.”
Knowing all that God is, hurting child of God, do understand that God is in control, and that nothing takes Him by surprise? He really is in control; He knows everything you’re experiencing! Nothing is happening to you by chance, by mistake, or by accident! Take comfort in that knowledge, and be assured that He sees your pain, sees your tears, hears your cry, and knows your circumstances. He’ll get you through it. All your experiences, painful or not, are included in His plans for you. The Bible says, “God causes EVERYTHING to work together for the good of those who love God and are called according to his purpose for them” (Romans 8:28 NLT). That’s why even on our most difficult days, we can confidently say, “I’ll be alright, because God is sovereign!”
Someday, sooner or later, we’ll understand! But until then, let’s give Him thanks as He commands: “Be thankful in all circumstances, for this is God’s will for you who belong to Christ Jesus” (1Thessalonians 5:18 NLT). God is faithful; let’s ask Him for grace, courage, and strength to persevere to the end, no matter how long it takes.
God is sovereign!